trading24
Have money to
Make more money

Today's Labour News


TOP STORY – SABC8

Solidarity and Bemawu want Hlaudi to pay legal costs in SABC8 case

ANAreports that Solidarity and the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media & Allied Workers’ Union (Bemawu) have asked the Labour Court to include former COO of the SABC, Hlaudi Motsoeneng, as a respondent in their cost order case related to their challenge of the sacking of eight employees.  The application will be heard in the Labour Court on 28 March 2017, Solidarity said in a statement on Friday.  The move comes after the Labour Court's 2016 ruling that the so-called SABC8 had been unlawfully dismissed.  At the time, Motsoeneng was SABC COO.  All eight employees were fired for opposing Motsoeneng's impromptu policy that the SABC should not,inter alia , show footage of violent strikes or community protests.  Solidarity’s Anton van der Bijl said they would argue that, although Motsoeneng did not carry out the dismissals himself, the de facto decision to dismiss the journalists was carried out on his instruction.

Read this report in full at IOL News .  Read Solidarity’s press statement in this regard at Solidarity online


OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY

Shutdown of lifts at PE police station for safety probe after four-storey plunge

HeraldLivereports that all five lifts at the Mount Road police station in Port Elizabeth have been shut down after a lift plummeted four storeys there on Wednesday afternoon.  On Thursday, inspectors from the departments of labour and public works were at the station conducting an investigation into what happened, but it remains unknown why the lift’s emergency brakes failed and why it fell to the ground floor.  A preliminary investigation showed that no cable had snapped in the lift shaft and that routine monthly maintenance checks had been done.  “Clearly something went wrong but what it is we do not know yet,” an investigator said.  Seven people – four clerks and three police officials, most of them from the Criminal Record Centre division – were in the lift when it fell to the ground.  Three of them have been discharged from hospital, with four still in hospital with leg fractures.

Read this report by Gareth Wilson in full atHeraldLive

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Suspect arrested for KZN cop's fatal shooting, robbery, at News24


MINING LABOUR

On Friday, workers at Harmony’s Kusasalethu mine still not at work

Mining Weeklyreports that employees at Harmony Gold’s Kusasalethu mine, near Carletonville, have again on Friday not reported for work, owing to ongoing industrial action.  Apparently employees also failed to report for the Thursday night shift.  The workers embarked on the action on Thursday morning, with Harmony indicating this was in retaliation for its suspension of the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) branch leadership, which had encouraged an earlier go-slow at the mine.  The gold producer suspended the branch leadership after only 25% of the Kusasalethu workforce reported for duty on Wednesday.  That go-slow was in response to disciplinary procedures against 40 employees, following an illegal sit-in at Kusasalethu in January.  No engagements between Kusasalethu’s management and the Amcu leadership have yet been held.

Read this report in full at Mining Weekly .  See too,Harmony urges Kusasalethu strikers to return to work or face disciplinary action , at EWN

‘Efforts to compensate ex-miners have been less than satisfactory’

ANAreports that Deputy Mineral Resources Minister Godfrey Oliphant on Thursday conceded that efforts to reach out and compensate former mineworkers, many of whom from neighbouring countries, have not been satisfactory.  In his keynote address at the Southern Africa Trust summit on social security and compensation benefits, he indicated that government was exploring ways of expediting the identification and payment to the former miners across the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC).  Oliphant said:  "We do have a system that is working [to compensate the former mineworkers] but it needs to be perfected.  We need to go on.  But this is not enough ... from the 100,000 people that we have identified, we have paid less than 10,000.  This means there is a problem."  Some of the major bottle necks apparently emanated from the former mineworkers not having the requisite documents.

Read this report by Jonisayi Maromo in full at The Citizen

Other labour posting(s) in this news category

  • Gideon du Plessis: Blame miners, inspectors, not mines, as death toll soars, at BizNews
  • Former mineworkers owed billions in retirement benefits, at SABC News
  • Opinion: How to shift from coal-fired power to renewables without job blackouts, at BusinessLive

Other general internet posting(s) on mining

  • Gold mining operations need to transform into 'mines of the future', at Mining Weekly
  • SA gold miners need tech upgrade to revive status as king of gold, at Fin24
  • Habib: Samewerking nodig in mynboubedryf, at Netwerk24 ( limit on access )
  • Coal transporters take Eskom, government to court, at eNCA
  • SA Mine Water Atlas launched, at SABC News
  • CoAL COO resigns after recently having been fined for insider trading, at Mining Weekly


INDUSTRIAL ACTION / STRIKES / LOCK-OUTS

6,000 social workers and care givers still on strike after 10 days

Netwerk24reports that a nationwide strike by about 6,000 social workers and care givers had been on the go for 10 days on Thursday, with no end in sight notwithstanding an interdict against the strikers.  The state workers, who say they earn a minimum salary of R6,000 a month, are demanding a 14% increase.  Two persons, a five-month old baby and the head of a care centre for children in KwaZulu-Natal, have died during the course of the strike, which began on 13 March 2017.  Instances of intimidation have been reported countrywide.  Gauteng has been hit the hardest in terms of the number of children who have had to be moved to other institutions.  In Limpopo, two of the Department of Social Development’s centres and a number of district offices have been affected by the strike.  The North West department has also had to curtail services.  In the Western Cape, the situation is apparently in hand. ( Loosely translated from Afrikaans )

Read this report by Reneilwe Dhludhlu in Afrikaans at Netwerk24 ( limit on access ).  See too,Health workers' strike leaves Limpopo patients in the lurch , at TimesLive .  And also,Nehawu members stage picket in Cape Town , at Cape Times .  As well as,'We are in the profession of helping people but no one is helping us‚' says striking social worker , at TimesLive

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Nehawu strike worries Limpopo doctors, SABC News
  • Baby should have had a safe refuge, but she and 89 others victims in health workers’ strike, at Huffingtom Post


PROTESTS, MARCHES AND BOYCOTTS

Msunduzi TVET shut

down after march over unpaid allowances

The Witnessreports that several Msunduzi TVET students allegedly sustained rubber bullet injuries when the police fired at them while they picketed outside the college’s central offices on Wednesday.  The students embarked on a go-slow and marched to the office to hand over a memorandum of grievances over unpaid allowances owed to them since last year.  Outraged students said other Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) students under Umgungundlovu have received the outstanding balance of the money owed to them, but they have been left out.  They alleged that the management has deliberately withheld the payout.  According to the newly elected SRC president, Ningi Luthuli, as a result of Wednesday’s events the college has been shut down until further notice.  Earlier this year, the SA Further Education and Training Student Association declared a nationwide shutdown of TVET colleges over unresolved issues faced by students, included among which was allowances owed from last year.  

Read this report by Thabang Mathebula in full at The Witness


PROFESSIONAL BODIES / STANDARDS

Alleged bogus pharmacist appears in court

Bogus pharmacist Miyelani Carol Maswanganyi (43) appeared in the Hlanganani Magistrate Court in Limpopo on Wednesday for operating a pharmacy without a licence.  This was a direct contravention of sec 22a (1) of Act 101 of 1965 relating to medicines and related substances.  The Hawks Commercial Crime Unit conducted an intelligence driven operation in August 2016, during which two bogus pharmacists were identified in Sekororo and Mamaila Villages and were closed down.  The owner of the Sekororo bogus pharmacy was arrested during the operation, but Maswanganyi, who owned a bogus pharmacy at Mamaila village, could not be found.  A manhunt for the suspect was launched and she was later located.  The suspect then appeared before Hlanganani Magistrate Court on 22 March 2017.  Maswanganyi will be back in court on 5 April 2017.

This report is at SA Govt News Agency


THE ECONOMY / PRODUCTIVITY

South African workers are some of the most hard-working in the world

BusinessTechreports that new employment data shows that South African workers are some of the most hard-working in world, with discretionary effort levels double that of the global average.  This is according to CEB, a best practice insight and technology company.  Findings from the company’s latest Global Talent Monitor show that stalled economic growth in SA has prompted a steady rise in employees’ willingness to go the extra mile at work – including helping others with heavy workloads and looking for ways to perform more effectively.  The data is drawn from CEB’s larger Global Labour Market Survey, which is made up of more than 22,000 employees in 40 countries, including SA.  Despite rising effort levels and a realistic outlook, SA workers are also keeping their eye on the jobs market, with 52% of them looking out for employment opportunities.

Read this report in full at BusinessTech

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Legally enforce BEE in financial sector, Numsa Investment’s Msibi says, at BusinessLive


POULTRY INDUSTRY JOB LOSS CRISIS

Chicken importers, producers ‘blame each other’ for poultry industry crisis

ANAreports that the open animosity between chicken importers and chicken producers intensified on Thursday as each blamed the other for the crisis facing the poultry industry in SA.  The SA Poultry Association (Sapa) and the Association of Meat Importers and Exporters (Amie) joined unions and state departments in briefing Parliament's portfolio committee on trade and industry during public hearings on the crisis.  Sapa argued that the EU was illegally and unfairly dumping bone-in chicken portions in SA and that, if government did not intervene and possibly increase tariffs, the jobs bloodbath would continue across the industry value chain.  Amie hit back, saying the crisis and the possible job losses were based on inefficiencies in local operations.  The unions called for intervention from government.  Cosatu’s Matthew Parks called for the immediate cessation of retrenchments, saying those who had already been laid off should either be re-employed or re-deployed.

Read this report by Chantall Presence in full at Business Report .  Read too,Poultry industry public hearings start in Parliament , at SA Govt News Agency .  And also,Poultry crisis: What is the actual problem?at Fin24

Other internet posting(s) in this news category

  • Poultry industry urges government to act on ‘dumping’, at EWN
  • Don't protect 'unproductive' chicken industry, says meat association, at Fin24
  • ITAC: Poultry sector crisis can’t be blamed only on cheap imports, at EWN


LABOUR MARKET / JOBS / IMMIGRATION / WORK PERMITS

Zimbabwe nationals in the dark over status of SA special permits

BusinessLivereports that lobby groups representing Zimbabweans holding special permits said on Wednesday they were still waiting for clarity from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) on the status of their permits.  In a joint statement from several groups, representatives of Zimbabwean special interest groups said they would intensify lobbying efforts to get clarity from the DHA, for instance on the need to return to Zimbabwe for new forms of documentation, and about the circumstances under which those holding permits could automatically migrate to new types of visas.  Some 197,000 Zimbabwean nationals hold the three-year Special Dispensation Permit, which was introduced in 2009 and has undergone renewals. The DHA has said that once the current permit expires on 31 December 2017 it would not be renewed and Zimbabweans would need to apply for other forms of documentation, such as work or study visas

Read this report in full at BusinessLive


YOUTH EMPLOYMENT

In march on new Ballito mall, protesters demand jobs for youth

The Daily Voxreports that the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) was joined by hundreds of protesters on Thursday in a march ending at the new Ballito Junction Regional Mall in demand for jobs for the youth.  The march saw altercations between protesters, journalists and the police.  Protesters set a sugarcane field alight on the way to the mall.  KwaZulu-Natal’s ANC Youth League secretary, Thanduxolo Sabelo, handed a memorandum to the developers.  He said:  “We are calling on all developers to include young and local people in the economy and share the spoils of the economy.  We are calling on them to create jobs for locals and young people in particularly.  More importantly we are calling for them to give 51% of the shares to locals.”  Sabelo claimed that close to 20,000 young people had joined the march, but the police estimated the numbers as much lower.

Read this report by Shaazia Ebrahim in full at The Daily Vox .  Read too,ANCYL job protesters push through boom gates at KZN mall , at TimesLive


WEB LINKS TO LABOUR NEWS ARTICLES ON THURSDAY, 23 MARCH 2017

See our listing of links to labour articles published on the internet on Thursday, 23 March 2017 at SA Labour News


Category: Trading

Similar articles: