Start your career as a financial advisor Join our Practice Management Development (PMD) program
Be an entrepreneur who builds and manages a business.
Make a meaningful difference in the lives of clients.
Receive a base salary plus an uncapped, unlimited annual income opportunity.
We recognize that it's the power of our people and our differences that make us a stronger company. We're proud of our commitment to attracting, recruiting and retaining top diverse talent from across the globe.
What do you need to become a Merrill Lynch financial advisor?
You’ll need perseverance to succeed — but what you don’t necessarily need is a financial services background. We’re searching for high achievers with a track record of continued success, in all industries and careers, such as:
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals3
- Community leaders
- Insurance agents
- Military personnel
- Professional athletes
- Real estate agents and developers
- Risk managers
- Sales and marketing professionals
- Teachers and educators
Join a culture of achievement
If you have a background of accomplishment, you can transfer that into a career that leverages your past successes. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit?4
- Are you self-motivated and have strong relationship-building skills?
- Do you pride yourself on being resilient when facing challenges?
- Do you have integrity and high ethical standards?
- Do you demonstrate a willingness to take action?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, consider the opportunity for a dynamic new career path as a Merrill Lynch financial advisor.
What is the PMD program?
When you join Merrill Lynch, you'll tap into wealth management experience that has been formally training and coaching new advisors through our PMD program since 1946. The PMD program is designed to develop the critical skills and knowledge necessary for building a successful wealth management practice — acquiring clients, enhancing relationships, providing tailored strategies and more.
The 43 month PMD program includes multiple components of:
- Investment, business development, business management and technology platform training and development
- Personalized coaching and support during each phase of the program
- Preparation for registration exams, including Series 7 and Series 66
Choose one of three paths to become a Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor
Regardless of the role you eventually assume, you'll access the deep resources and full capabilities of both Merrill Lynch and Bank of America.
PMD Financial Advisor
Help clients pursue their goals
As a PMD financial advisor, your support team includes a group of specialists with experience in banking, credit, retirement, insurance and investments, including access to the full capabilities of Bank of America and its innovative banking services. This combined support will help clients pursue their financial goals.
Team Financial Advisor
Play an integral role on a larger team
You'll play a specific role — in either business development, planning, investments and financing, business management or relationship management — contributing to the overall efforts of the team. In addition, you'll take advantage of an accelerated curriculum (one year shorter than the standard PMD program).
Bank Team Financial Advisor
Provide client access to the full breadth of firm resources
After a length of service (LOS) of 3 months, you'll have the potential opportunity to work in a Bank of America financial center as a PMD financial advisor. You'll be able to build your team's book of business with preferred and affluent clients who already have a banking relationship.
Opportunities to help develop your wealth management business
- The Optimal Practice Model® is a multifaceted framework that shares the practices of the industry's top financial advisors and the activities that have made them successful. The framework focuses on business management, business development, planning, investments and financing, relationship management, and service and administration.
- Goals-Based Wealth Management (GBWM) is a comprehensive and powerful approach to help you guide clients toward more appropriate investment decisions, uncover their concerns and priorities, and develop portfolios that align their resources with what they want to achieve now and in the future.
Come to a firm that supports you with marketing tools and other valuable resources
- Turnkey strategies and easy-to-use marketing tools such as web pages, fact sheets and brochures to help you develop and market your business quickly
- Thoughtful, professionally written magazines, videos and newsletters
- Industry-leading insights and analysis from BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research; and our comprehensive investment platform5
- Employee Networks — which can help you develop leadership skills and connect with people across the business and globally — based on age, ethnicity, lifestyle and professional goals